Friday, June 19, 2009

Our Trip To Alaska

So we took a trip this week to Alaska to visit Leslie's family. It has been a fantastic trip. When I was very young my favorite time of the year was July for Pioneer days and the fourth of July. One summer my parents gave me $10 to spend however I wanted, which was quite a bit of money to me then. I had always wanted to go on a helicopter and there was one taking off at Draper park over and over again all afternoon. When it was getting dark I found out it was only $10 for a ride. I ran over to go on the helicopter and before I got there it took off again and they told me it was gone for the day. It is rather silly, but I have always thought about that day and have wanted to fly on a helicopter. I threw it on my bucket list and Leslie knowing of my desire set me up to fly out of Denali to land on a beautiful glacier. It is usually $450...quite more than my original $10...talk about inflation! Leslie's sister Jenny was able to get me on for half price so I went and it was absolutely amazing!! I loved the flight and the scenery was breathtaking!
Here is Claire doing what she does best...finding some random place to sit, looking cute and playing with something random that she usually puts into her mouth. She has a new love for dental floss. She loves to stick it in her mouth and run it in her teeth. Very nice!
We took a great trip on a riverboat tour in Fairbanks. Thanks again to Jenny for getting us $60 tickets a piece for free. Part of the tour included a demonstration of some sled dogs followed by them jumping in the water and getting wet. The kids loved it!
Any parent will tell that you traveling by plane is not easy with kids. Just ask my friend Kristin Sanchez. So after a three hour flight to Seattle we added a six hour layover. We rented a car and travelled to the Port Defiance Zoo in Tacoma. It was very fun and a great break for the kids. It was like another vacation. We saw a 3,500 pound Walrus, huge polar bears and in the picture below there are lots of Puffins.

Once we started driving back from the Zoo the kids took a one hour nap and then they still didn't want to get out of the car so we just put the car seats on the stroller and a cart until we got to security. It worked great and we got a good laugh out of it.

5 comments:

Lizzie said...

That was such a great idea to take them to the zoo! I love it! and I bet Claire was flapping her arms so fast to see those dogs in the water! what a cutie! I love that girl! The glacier is so beautiful huh? I love Alaska! I am glad that you got to go visit Denali one of my former homes. Leslie, you looked WAY too cute to be traveling. especially with how long your trip was :) I love you guys! I can't wait to travel with you again soon!
PS...a certain someone asked me how long I was going to stay in NM after here and I told him til May. He said that it wasn't long enough and he said that he hopes that I will stay longer, much longer... so I think he is the answer to your prayers! thanks for praying so hard for me to stay in new mexio ;) Travel home safely! I love you!!!

Rosanne said...

What a wonderful trip! I love the new pictures, and I agree with Lizzie--Leslie is SO beautiful! Glad you had such a great time with family. Hope the flight home goes well. Love you both tons!

Rosanne said...

What a wonderful trip! I love the new pictures, and I agree with Lizzie--Leslie is SO beautiful! Glad you had such a great time with family. Hope the flight home goes well. Love you both tons!

Renee.nana@yahoo.com said...

Hi Markhams! I just finished looking at your Alaska post and reading about your travels and the fun you had. I loved watching the kids play and seeing them so happy and busy. That Claire is such a scrapper! They are adorable. And so happy. I love to get your posts and read them several times. Leslie, you are looking so great.

Give the kids hugs and kisses for me. I miss you!
Renee

Isom Crew said...

Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun. We just missed you! We flew into Fbks on the 19th of June. Did you love your helicopter adventure? I wanted to do the helicopter tour around Denali but was voted out and we ended up viewing the Katmai bears instead (surreal experience - would definitely recommend).